Saturday, May 23, 2009

Bed Head Texturizing Paste

for that "Hard to Get"(TM) look
This was my second wax-type product.  I bought it from Chura hair salon in downtown Vancouver (another review for another day).

The Fab:  It smells amazing.  It has a hint of watermelon, and it's sweet, but the overall fragrance is subtle so that girls will have to lean in to figure out what it is.  And, uh... the container is very sleek.

The Drab:  It costs $20.  It's 42 grams.  I haven't done my review on Gatsby yet, but just to put that into perspective, Gatsby Moving Rubber is (possibly) $9 for 80 grams.  So Bed Head is 4 times more expensive.  The flipside is that you don't use very much--just a little bit rubbed through your hands is enough to coat your hair.

It's a texturizing paste, not a wax/putty/clay.  This means that it isn't designed to form/mold/hold spikes and/or other gravity-defying hairstyles.  In fact, I find that it works best for a sleeker look:  for smoothing your hair back, but with matte definition (as opposed to the effect created using a gel).  But don't expect it to hold up on its own.

Conclusion:  If you're a collector and you have $20+ lying around, then by all means go and buy this product.  The scent almost makes it worth it, and it's fun to use for a new look now and then.  If you're tight on cash, however, then I'd hold off on this one.

If you do decide to try it, I would suggest combining it with a foaming volumizing mousse--use the mousse on your damp hair (not wet, damp), and then blow dry into a puffy shape.  Then, use the Bed Head texturizing paste to create some definition in your hair for a piecey look.  This will give you a different look from the usual waxed style.  It won't be as sharp, and instead you'll have a smoother, curvier look.  Maybe you can go for retro-vintage.  If anyone tries it, send me a picture so I can see how it turns out.  I think I'll go for it, too, tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment