Saturday, May 2, 2009

Hive

Finding a good hair salon (and hair stylist) is one of the most important steps in having great hair.  Your stylist is the best person to go to with your questions, since he/she can give you advice specific to your hair.  And of course, your stylist can cut/sculpt your hair into the style that best suits you and your face.

So today, I give you the greatest gift I have to offer:  a referral to my favourite hair salon.


The stylists are all Japanese, of course.  Japanese stylists are the leading experts on hair these days (and apparently Taiwanese styles are copied from Japanese ones).  So, Hive is in Vancouver, BC, so I can imagine that unless you live there you might have some trouble getting there.  But then again, I live in Los Angeles and I still go there for my haircuts.  =)

It's a small salon, three stylists last I heard (one of which is also the owner).  It's a very cosy, friendly atmosphere.  There are pictures of the salon on the website, so go check it out.  Anyway, the three stylists are:
Jun Ozawa (male) - he's my stylist
Sho Sasaki (male) - he did my most recent cut while Jun was in Japan for spring break
Shizuko Sambe (female) - I haven't had her, but my friends have and she did a good job on them

Most Japanese salon are renowned for their unparalleled quality of service, but Hive has something the others don't:  tea and pocky.  That's right, you get served food and drink during your haircut.  Oh yeah, you also get a neck massage.  What more could you want?

They also offer monthly promotions, ranging from things like 20% off cut with colour to free conditioning treatment on Mother's day.  This month's promotion is 20% your haircut if you go at the same time as a friend.  I've already booked mine.

And of course, pricing.  The price list is on their website, and trust me, the prices are excellent.  Most salons charge around $40 for a guy's haircut, $50+ for women, for a lesser service.  And with Hive's constant promotions, you rarely pay full price for a haircut.

So go!

Oh yeah, make sure to make an appointment.  They're usually booked at least a day ahead, so to guarantee your time-slot (and your stylist), call or e-mail in.  And when they ask who referred you, tell them Brian Lam.

2 comments:

  1. Is this a ploy to get more discounted haircuts? :) They should pay you for advertising! Or at least give you a discount.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hive <3, I'd go more often if I could afford it =P

    ReplyDelete