Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Four (TVB)


So, on Sunday night I just finished watching the HK drama "The Four" (少年四大名捕).  It was so good; I'm sad it's over.  Anyway, in my refusal to let it go I've decided to post about the female hairstyles from the show.  Those ancient Chinese hairstyles were really pretty (though obviously impractical for everyday use), and often very intricate.  Also, you need really long hair.
You can't really see her hair too clearly in this picture (I haven't been able to find any good pictures for anyone), but if you look at the top you can kinda make out those little braided loops.  I'm not an expert on female hairstyles, but braids can be so cute if you throw in an ornament.
This one just makes me laugh every time.  It's the bangs.  And it makes her already round face look even rounder.  Mind you, she's a Princess in the TV show, so I guess an up-do is mandatory.
Here's Kate Tsui--she kind of scares me (it's her eyes/eyebrows).  Her character in the show was so awesome/frightening, too.  She belongs on AFI's list of top 100 villains of all time.  In the big picture at the top of this post, she's the girl second from the left.  Both long and short hairstyles work on her because she has an oval face, and her facial features are neither too sharp nor too muddled together.  Her hair in this picture looks really choppy though.
 
It's Selena Li!  She was my favourite character from the show.  Unlike Kate, she has a really skinny, long face, and this long and simple hairstyle perhaps wasn't the most flattering for her.  The tiara thing helps to diminish her forehead, but towards the end of the series they used to braids across the forehead in place of the headband which worked much better.  
Here she is with modern hair.  The one-way bang things work a lot better for her face shape.

I like this one the most, though.  Big curls for volume, but most importantly, the straight-cut bangs make her face look smaller and her hair look bigger.  Very pretty.

3 comments:

  1. I like the last one too. Hmmm pics are lovely!

    So how are you Brian? Yes, I'm fully aware that I'm chatting with you in the other window but I had a sudden urge to leave a long and verbose comment that talks about everything from hair to the mere purpose of our existence. I think I'll go TOK here... but I've forgotten about TOK. Oh there I go again contaminating your blog with IB acronyms. Slightly sleep deprived... bangs growing out... will have to visit Hive soon.

    XOXO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the hairstyle in the first picture best..time for long hair..but I'm really too lazy to keep it.. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh maybe one day i'll give the style in the third picture a try. seems like a good style for a hot summer

    ReplyDelete