Sunday, April 5, 2009

Free stuff

Yesterday was the Sakura (Cherry blossom) festival in Little Tokyo, so I went with some friends.Of course, I couldn't go to Little Tokyo and not go to the Marukai to buy some Gatsby.  It went up in price to $9.49, up from like ~$7-8 last year...Tada!  Yellow Gatsby.  This is the newest colour, "Nuance Motion".  It's not even on the gatsby.hk website yet, but it is on the gatsby.jp website.  Speaking of which, the jap Gatsby website has new hair models, new videos, and lots of new instructions.  If only I spoke/read Japanese.
Back at USC, Springfest was on.  Since it was outside my dorm I figured I'd go check out the vendors for freebies (yes, very Chinese of me).  Well who would have guessed, got2b (there's an umlaut on the "o", I can't figure out how to type it) had two tents with lots of freebies.
So I got two little tubes of hair gel.  Not that I even use hair gel (a post for another time).  But basically, this stuff is only good for spikes, which is only used in J-Rock, caucasian, and poorly done Jap/Twn styles.  got2b is a good brand (I used the yellow one before when trying to cosplay as L from Deathnote) because it really does hold quite well; it just makes your hair too shiny and stiff.
This is an example of what not to do.  What's wrong with it, you ask?

1)  Hair is uneven.  This kid needs a haircut, because when you stick your hair up straight like that you can see longer hairs here and shorter hairs there, and overall it produces a very messy effect.  But not a good messy, like the simulated bedhead hair, but more of a "I squirted gel in my hair and then let it dry in a wanna-be cool position."

2)  Hair is too shiny and the texture is too clumpy.  In LA weather, you sweat.  So if you choose to use shiny hair gel, you don't want your strands of hair to be in thick, wide clumps:  otherwise it just looks like you're sweating really hard and your hair is soaked in sweat.  This kinda brings us back to step 1:  get a haircut.  If you want to use gel you need shorter hair that will produce small, neat spikes.

That's all for now, next time I'll be posting someone else's Youtube video tutorial that's an "intro to Asian hairstyling."

2 comments: